Sunday, April 14, 2013

Practice Cake for Coworkers

After we got engaged, I really wanted to have a go at making my own wedding cake. I took as many opportunities as possible to practice making cakes. We have a monthly birthday party at work so I decided to make this little number in celebration. It was chocolate cake filled with peanut butter buttercream. The inside was tasty but I wasn't a fan of the straight buttercream. I was pleased with how the roses turned out.

My cake writing clearly needed some work. I find I do much better when I am copying the font exactly from something I'm looking at. Good thing there are infinite fonts available online for me to use as examples! I also feel like I was finally starting to get a good handle on making my frosting smooth. I think it was soon after this cake that I bought plastic spackling tools to help me make things as smooth as possible. Best three dollars I ever spent on a cake tool! I might even try metal ones in the future.

I thought the roses and mums turned out rather nicely. The picture makes the dark blue flowers look black, but they weren't nearly that sultry in real life!

No comments:

Post a Comment