Monday, September 2, 2013

The Tres Leches Experiment

In May 2013 my family was having a reunion down in Capitol Reef National Park. Since I only see my family about twice a year, I decided to take advantage and make birthday cakes for both my mom and brother, who both have June birthdays. Here is the first cake, made for my brother:





Cake: My brother said his favorite cake was tres leches. Since real tres leches is super moist and is impossible to stack, I had to improvise with my favorite WASC cake recipe. I used vanilla flavoring with a white cake mix, with the addition of some evaporated milk and half and half.

Filling: Having a dulce de leche filling only seemed natural for a tres leches cake. I made my dulce de leche by boiling a can of sweetened condensed milk for about 2 1/2 hours. It turned out a beautiful carmel color and tasted great, too! I filled the cake with it, then used the rest to drizzle over the top. The effect was rather lovely and delicious looking.

Frosting: Plane white frosting from Sam's club. I got extra large tips as a gift from my husband for mother's day (despite not being a mother yet!). They came in handy and made the cake look like it came from a real bakery.

No comments:

Post a Comment