Monday, September 2, 2013

Binary Cake

My husband's grandmother commissioned me to make a birthday cake for one of my husband's cousins. We eat dinner with them on Sundays, so of course I would get to enjoy the cake as well!

Cake: After getting the down-low from his wife, I made this into a German Chocolate cake. I used a regular german chocolate cake mix and modified it with the WASC recipe.

Filling: I made a classic coconut-pecan german chocolate cake filling. It was thick and gooey and delicious. The whole cake was marked a delicious success.

Frosting/Decoration: This is just a basic vanilla frosting. But the decoration is where it really became unique. My husband's cousin is a computer programmer. I found a website that translated Happy Birthday into binary, which I then painstakingly copied onto the top of the cake. My hand was tired afterward, meaning I should have thinned out the chocolate frosting before I wrote with it, oh well! The cousins were thoroughly thrilled with getting to sit and figure out the words on the cake. They sat and analyzed it for at least ten minutes, discussing the virtues of binary.

No comments:

Post a Comment