Thursday, August 15, 2013

January Cake #2

My second cake in January closely followed after the first. This Harry-Potter themed cake was my first attempt and making and using fondant.

I used the classic marshmallow fondant recipe. My base covering of the cake had a few rough spots, but it seemed to go on fairly well. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of the process. Everything on the cake is covered in fondant except the wand.

The towers were made of toilet paper rolls covered in fondant. The roofs were of course ice cream cones.

The cauldron was made by wrapping fondant around a cut-off piece of plastic cup and filled with Jelly Bellies. I would have put Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans in them but I couldn't find them at any of the stores at that time of year.

The wand is a chocolate covered pretzel with wood lines drawn into it.

The words around the sides of the cake say "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good. . . "

Things I would do differently: 1)On the scarf, I would have put the colored pieces of fondant on the scarf after I wrapped it around the cake. The scarf stretched when I moved it to the cake and the pieces separated so they didn't have one smooth look. 2) I would make my fondant a bit more pliable than it was because it was difficult to shape and form due to stiffness. 3) I would get a bigger cake carrier since part of the scarf got squished in transit.

However, none of that mattered to Krista, who let out a big squeal when she walked in to see the cake. I think she liked it:-D


No comments:

Post a Comment